Sunday, February 7, 2010

Background Info

I had a Boston Scientific Precision Plus Spinal Cord Stimulator permanently implanted on December 14th, 2009. I have healed well and an now trying to optimize the available settings to provide the maximum relief possible. Currently, I visit PM doc and Rep JM about every two weeks for followups as well as programming. Each visit I have had with JM I've left feeling better than the previous time. I remain carefully optimistic.

People ask me all the time "Is it working?" and I think are sometimes shocked that it's not a straightforward answer (complete with me doing cartwheels and yelling "Yes, I feel great") If it's someone that doesn't know my history quiet well I just smile and say, "Yeah, it's doing pretty good" for those that know me well and can handle an intellectual convo regarding pain (read: someone who understands CHRONIC pain and doesn't write it off quickly) I fill them in on all the details...usually sounding something like this, "It takes time for this to work and I am getting better after each programming session. I really do expect to take this months (or possibly longer) to get the best benefits, but I am optimistic and look forward to *any* relief it provides." I also fill them in that this is NOT a magical cure that will make everything great and pain free. I fully expect to stay on medications, maybe lowered dosages but ah, that's not something I focus on right now. I am still only a few weeks "out" into recovery. Overall, would I say that I am glad I had the surgery done-YES. If you had asked me that a few weeks ago, my answer might have been different.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just saw a comment you posted on my blog a few months ago. I had a trial of the SCS that was unsuccessful and am still dealing with chronic pain. I have moved to Knoxville and have seen multiple doctor of multiple disciplines and still no answer to my severe neck pain. I am now also having all over body pain. They are calling it fibromyalgia but i present more like rheumatoid arthritis or some type of autoimmune disease...most of my pain is localized to my joints, i respond to steroids, i have low grade fevers most days...but my rheumatologist cant seem to find anything in my blood work. I would love to chat (aka vent) sometime. I'm feeling pretty hopeless these days. Thanks for your post.
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete